VSdocman is a Visual Studio code commenter and documentation generator. Here is a list of its features.
- Supports C# and VB .NET in any type of project, including class library, application, web app, Android, cross-platform, WPF, WCF, Silverlight, etc.
- Works with Visual Studio 2019 / 2017 / 2015 / 2013.
- Supports projects that target any .NET framework: 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8.
- Full support for generics, extension methods, dependency properties and attached properties and other .NET features.
- Works in GUI and command line modes.
- No need for compiled assemblies. Everything is extracted directly from the source code. This is especially useful for web projects.
- You can select which members will be documented using filtering by type, accessibility, project file, name and attributes.
- You can add your own non-API topics such as overview, examples, license agreement, usage descriptions, etc.
- Profiles for settings.
- Conditional compilation. You can define conditional constants and add condition to the member comment. This way you can include or exclude specific members from documentation.
Generates the following documentation formats:
- CHM (HTML Help 1.x) - CHM file suitable for general purpose help.
- HTML - files with index, search and a table of contents. Works even locally without a web server.
- Docx - OOXML format used in MS Word.
- PDF document suitable for printing.
- Microsoft Help Viewer 2.x and 1.x - Microsoft help technology used in Visual Studio 2017-2010 and MSDN; .mshc file. Suitable for integration with VS help or MSDN.
- MS Help 2 - Microsoft help technology used in Visual Studio .NET and MSDN versions 2002 - 2008, .HxS file. Suitable for integration with VS help or MSDN.
- XML which can be processed later by other tools.
- Others. User is allowed to define his own format for any text based document such as LATEX, custom HTML and others.
- Each output format is highly customizable so you can easily apply your corporate style.
- Generates IntelliSense (auto-completion tooltips) and Object Browser info.
- Creates F1 help.
- Integrates in VS help system on a target computer.
- Easily deploys Visual Studio documentation to target computers using accompanied royalty-free command-line utilities.
- Output is localizable. There are several built-in languages including English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Hebrew and others.
- Creates links to framework classes, even in HTML and CHM output.
- Documentation can contain source code of a code member.
- Supports standard XML doc comments.
- Using fully customizable templates, you can automatically insert predefined texts in comments, e.g. "Initializes a new instance of the <CLASS-NAME-AND-LINK> class" for constructors.
- Contains sophisticated WYSIWYG comment editor that you use directly in Visual Studio.
- You can automatically insert default XML comment to a member.
- You can automatically insert Description attribute to your property. This is used for property short description in Properties Window.
- You can insert tables, lists, pictures, class diagrams, links, colors, bold, italics and other formatting directly in your source code.
- Supported XML comment tags: <summary>, <seealso>, <example>, <same>, <typeparam>, <param>, <paramref>, <typeparamref>, <set>, <returns>, <remarks>, <overloads>, <author>, <version>, <revision>, <include>, <includesource>, <compilewhen>, <exception>, <value>, <permission>, <threadsafety>, <para>, <code>, <c>, <see>, <list>, <img>, <b>, <i>, <u>, <br>, <font> and user-defined tags.